Now surrounded by exceptionally varied countryside classified as a National
Nature Reserve, Oxwich was once a small port exporting limestone quarried
from the headland of Oxwich Point. John Wesley lived here in a cottage
called ‘The Nook’. The village, with its colourful quarrymen’s
cottages, several of them thatched, feels deceptively remote from the
rest of the world. The bay used to have a reputation for smuggling and
‘wrecking’, and there have been many shipwrecks both accidental
and deliberate in its treacherous waters. The remains of one wreck,
torpedoed during World War Two, can sometimes be seen at low water.
In 1911, a Mr E. Sutton accomplished the first aeroplane flight in Wales
from the long, flat sands of Oxwich in a Bleriot Monoplane.
Beyond the Oxwich Bay Hotel, which is located almost on the beach, a
track leads towards Oxwich Point. It heads up the cliff through woodlands
and past the ancient little church of St Illtyd, the subject of many
myths and fairy tales. From further up there are splendid views of the
bay and the Bristol Channel. Oxwich Castle is a fortified Tudor manor
house and was constructed by the Mansel family, notorious for their
plundering of local shipwrecks.
An alternative route back from Oxwich to the A4118 meanders through
the tiny hamlet of Penrice, which once was the hub of Gower’s
economy, hosting fairs and markets until they outgrew the tiny village
green and had to be relocated to nearby Reynoldston. Depending on when
you encounter it, the congregation of the scenic St Andrew’s Church
appears to consist more or less equally of humans, sheep and wildfowl.