From the A4118 main road along South Gower, a road
signposted to Oxwich heads south at a junction dominated by Penrice
Castle. There is no access to the private 13th-century ruin, but from
both roads there are enticing glimpses of the most formidable fortification
built by the Normans after finally gaining control of Gower in 1099.
It can also be viewed at leisure from the footpath through the large,
formal Penrice Estate, as can the imposing 18th-century Penrice mansion
and the great artificial lake, which is now a heronry.
Oxwich Bay Copyright © 2003
The minor road dips down to the strange landscape known as Oxwich Marsh,
which has a haunted quality even in broad sunlight. It is a nature reserve
comprising freshwater marshes to the west and a salt marsh to the east,
with dense woods to the north and south. After about a mile the small
village of Oxwich is reached, where there is an official car park. Beyond
this lies the panorama of Oxwich Bay, the longest expanse of sand in
South Gower, backed by sand dunes, woodland, cliffs and Cefn Bryn, the
spine of Gower.