Llanrhidian
Where most centres on Gower offer spectacular coastal or upland scenery – or often both – the charms of the small, sleepy estuarine village of Llanrhidian, about halfway along North Gower, are quite different. Until the beginning of the 20th century it was the centre of a large weaving industry. A disused mill house known as Nether Mill survives in the village, with a millpond and a broken millstone, and there are several other ruined mills.

Today the main characteristics of Llanrhidian are peace and quiet, and the pleasure of rambling along paths through woodland glades and coastal tracks, keeping an eye open for herons, buzzards and wildfowl, plentiful fungi and profuse wildflowers.The upper of two standing stones on the village green is clearly the remains of a Celtic Cross. The lower one is recorded in the parish register as having been raised in 1884, and was probably used as a village pillory at one time. In the porch of the village church is a carved stone, probably 9th century, bearing carved human and animal figures. Look out too, on the exterior south wall, for the rhymed epitaph of Robert Hary, who died in 1646.

Next
Next

Mumbles Pennard Penmaen Reynoldston Oxwich Port Eynon Rhossili Llangennith Llanrhidian Penclawdd

EnjoyGower
Home    Where to stay    Eating Out    Arts & Culture    Activities    Beaches    Gower Villages    Gower Books    Mumbles Tour

  Copyright © 2003-2009 enjoyGower.com  |  Editorial  |  Design and Production: EnjoyGower